The University (hereinafter referred to as MUG) cooperates with institutions from all around the world. Due to the nature and scope of education (medicine in the broad sense of the meaning), international cooperation does not focus solely on EU countries nor only on non-EU countries. When choosing partners, GUMed is guided by the following important criteria:
- High quality and innovative teaching methods based on modern and complementary study programs;
- Excellence in scientific research;
- Purpose and demand of the needs of the institutions in the specific fields of science and education;
- compatibility of the program and curricula;
- language of teaching of the foreign institution;
- possibilities of improvement of the mobility participant (including the offer of language courses for participants at foreign institution)
As one of the universities with the prestigious title of “Research University” MUG offers support in teaching methods and research techniques to all countries that want to improve their level of teaching and research by participating in international workshops and individual training programs at MUG.
In cooperation with students and deans – the Department for University Internationalization in development and research projects measure satisfaction with mobility and examines the results of research and development projects, and thus constantly monitors the effectiveness of the cooperation process.
The area of cooperation of MUG also focuses on the Baltic Sea region as one of the most advanced and innovative regions of this part of the world. By participating in regional organizations and consortia, MUG works to improve its activities and together with its partners contributes to the modernization of the region in both educational and socio-economic aspects.
When MUG chooses to participate in a project of double / multiple / joint diplomas, it is always guided by the common interest of research and development. GUMed will carefully look for potential partners in areas such as medical studies that are strictly regulated at the national level, and will also strive to provide precisely defined learning outcomes.
An important goal of MUG in mobility activities is to enable students to obtain new additional skills acquired during studies or during research training abroad. This exchange, as well as employee mobility, thanks to the conducted monitoring and control procedures leads to the improvement of the quality of our teaching systems and contributes to expanding cooperation opportunities. MUG helps students and employees become familiar with new techniques, methods and tools used abroad, especially in highly developed countries.
Currently, the most active group of students in the aspect of mobility are medical students. About 80% of all outgoing and 90% of incoming students are future doctors from medical departments. However, as stated in MUG Strategy, the University is constantly working on it’s offer by creating new professional programs in English for other fields of studies, which should facilitate and increase student exchange also at other faculties.
Referring to foreign internships, it should be noted that in this type of exchange the target group of students is much better balanced and reflects the proportions of students studying at various faculties at MUG. MUG’s policy in incoming period will continue on supporting this type of mobility, helping students to gain a practical knowledge in hospitals, laboratories, pharmacies and clinics.
When it comes to employee mobility, MUG will strive to broaden the target group by identifying the appropriate needs for additional training not only in the administration directly involved in international cooperation. Each of the MUG employees can benefit from such a training or course tailored to their needs. In addition, lecturers and scientists from various fields help MUG students to establish future international contacts.
Thanks to the reorganization of university structures MUG will recognize the effects of foreign trainings of its employees during periodic measurement of employee competencies, striving for their improvement and enabling them to use the acquired skills for the common good of both the employee and the university.
MUG adjusts its training and teaching offer depending on the situation in which a student, employee or university finds itself, giving the opportunity to learn, train and work remotely or using methods necessary to achieve a given goal.
In order to achieve all above MUG undertakes to:
- Keep the level of internationalization at MUG and in the region at it’s highest levels for students and employees (according to the national rankings MUG is the first medical school in the country and ranks among the top ten of the best Polish state universities (8th place), also has the highest level of internationalization approx. 17% – April 2020) ;
- Development of the programs offered by MUG for all the academic society, including incoming students and staff from partner institutions;
- Taking action to ensure the development and promotion of digital mobility management tools such as e-paper procedures, digital dashboard, on-line communication with usage of the most common and newest techniques (also such as social media, communicators, etc.);
- Development of existing departments as Welcome Center for incoming students and staff;
- Mixing of mixed mobility within offered programs (national and international agency offers);
- improving intercultural skills and competences of the MUG employees in order to ensure the highest standards of educational process;
- increasing students’ and staff awareness of intercultural diversity and differences
- using former mobility participants as ambassadors of the Erasmus program to promote the concept and idea of the mobility
- regularly joining actions (KA-103; KA-107) aimed at the raise of the level of internationalization of both – MUG and partner universities – through the mobility of employees and students;
- creation of university networks in order to establish a joint studies (Joint Master Degree studies);
- upgrade of the existing departments such as International Alumni Department, International Relations Office Department, Welcome Center Department corresponding the new conditions and circumstances of ever-changing reality
- New e- platforms development, including distance learning (also for foreign students, both studing abroad or in Poland), e-documents platform and communication platform;
When thinking about modern science, we cannot forget about modern didactics. The ambition and goal for the upcoming years is a development focused on stimulating education using the latest technologies such as augmented reality, which skillfully implemented can bring real improvement in increasing the effectiveness of education. The main task should be the creation of an atmosphere friendly to young talents and care for them, as well as professional development ensuring success in the world of modern medicine, science and service to the humanity. MUG should put more emphasis on developing soft skills, empathy and the ability to cooperate, reaching for best practices in medical and non-medical environments. It is also necessary to educate and promote appropriate attitudes among students resulting from the special responsibility incumbent on the representatives of professions of public trust, based on the ethics of medical professions, with particular regard to broadly understood tolerance.